Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Parts!

While I'm making judicious use of my junk box for parts--parts salvaged from garbage picking old TVs and stereos years ago--I still am short some basic components for my basic builds...mostly QRPp transmitters.

Bill Maera (N2CQR) of Solder Smoke Podcast fame to the rescue! While I have many of these parts from various grab bags, there are some more unique items that will require a trip over the the Mouser, All Electronics, Jameco, or Digikey website:

Transistors

  • 2N2222 (have a ton of these and 2N3904s from previous grab bags)
  • 2N3904
  • 2N3906 
  • J-310 
  • MPF102 
  • IRF510
  • [2N3053] (for the 10 Minute Transmitter)
Toroids. (Funny story. I bought several T37-2 and T-37-6 through Kits and Parts, but I really didn't know until reading the winding data that I needed just a few more of different sizes and composition.)
  • 25 x T50-6
  • 25 x T50-2
  • 25 x T37-43

Capacitors
  • Large supply of .01 uF capacitors (bypass)
Resistors. I have a considerable grab bag that I still need to organize. I haven't been unable to fill my needs yet. Still, Drew (N7DA)'s picking at the Solder Smoke Daily News are helpful.

Zeners
  • 8V

Miscellaneous

  • Looking through an older book called W1FP QRP notebook, the author indicates that an aspiring builder ought to have some miniature ferrite beads to place on the base of the amplifier transistor to prevent VHF oscillation and VHF harmonics. 
  • I want to add a little more flexibility to my building methods. I've been using these 3x3" squares of perfboard that I found in my junk box, but I want to spread out my circuits more. I'll probably never approach the work of the Manhattan Build Master, Dave Richards (AA7EE), I ought to give it a go. This requires some supply of copper clad board. The boards in my junk box shattered when i tried to cut them to a reasonable size. Bill suggested I follow Pete's advice and buy CEM 1 boards on eBay. CEM1 is low-cost, flame-retardant, cellulose-paper-based laminate with only one layer of woven glass fabric.

Ordnung macht Spaß

While I've only built a few small circuits thus far, I found myself expending a lot of time trying to see what I have in stock for the next build. It became obvious that I would end up spending significant time hunting for parts in a box labeled "resistors" or "capacitors"--time that should be devoted to building, experimenting, and enjoying the fumes of some 60/40 solder. While it took the better part of an afternoon, here's the fruits of my labor. A significant time saver. 

And while addressing some of the bulk part items, I suggest readers check out Drew's (N7DA) lessons learned over at the SolderSmoke podcast.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment